Friday, April 19, 2013

Kilnave Hermitage 3

We are now down in the heart of the hermitage. This cluster of stones is what's left of three beehive cells. Their remoteness from modern settlements has kept their stones from being robbed, but time has taken its toll and their roofs have long since fallen in.


The most unusual ruins here are several kidney shaped structures, some of them built onto each other to form a wall. I poked my head into one of the small entrances to see if I could get inside, but it did not look stable.


I don't think many people make the effort to visit this historic place, which is probably for the better. I spent a memorable hour of solitude here and then started back. The return to the car would be mostly downhill, except for this daunting first bit, a steep climb back to the top of the cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment