Friday, March 21, 2014

Wallaby Island

I think I must be the only one who has been on Inchconnachan that has never seen one of it famous wallabies. The wallabies were brought to the island, which is in Loch Lomond, in the 1940s, and they've run wild since then. Hoping to get a few photos of a wallaby I was dropped off on the north end of the island. Camera in hand, I started walking to the south end, but there was nary a wallaby to be seen. Thinking my movement was scaring them away, I sat down quietly in a few spots along the way, hoping for one to hop by. But it was not to be. 

If you can't make it to Inchconnachan there are lots of YouTube videos (like this one) of them hopping around the island. A few years ago there was an attempt to eradicate the wallabies; the reason was that they're 'non-native'.  I'm not sure, but I believe they finally gave up trying to kill them. Here are a few photos from my wallaby-less walk across the beautiful island of Inchconnachan. 



No comments:

Post a Comment