Wednesday, August 27, 2014

When You Wish Upon a ...

There are a few wishing stones scattered around the Hebrides, and a wish I made at one of them actually came true. 

The wish I made while seated on the Brownie's Stone of Cara did not come true. It was a hot day, and after taking a seat on the stone I made a wish. I then dug a can of beer out of my pack, only to find that my wish had not been granted, the beer was warm. Perhaps the Brownie does not of approve of drinking. Although warm, the beer still hit the spot.

Making a wish on the Brownie's Stone - Isle of Cara
On my first visit to Staffa I was so excited to see Fingal's Cave that I walked right past Fingal's Wishing Chair without noticing it. But on my next visit I took the time to sit in the chair and make a wish. That wish did come true, for when I went into Fingal's Cave I had it all to myself.

Fingal's Wishing Chair - Isle of Staffa
I am sure Robert Lewis Stevenson visited the Erraid Wishing Stone in his early days, but whether he stood on it and made a wish to be a writer, as is often said, I do not know. I have to admit that I did not stand on the stone, as that requires jumping over the small moat that surrounds it. Like the ringing stone on Tiree, the Erraid stone looks like a glacial erratic. I do not know if it also rings, but next time I'm on Erraid I'll find out.

Wishing Stone - Isle of Erraid

1 comment:

  1. David & Margaret GartsideSeptember 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM

    A tip for visitors to Staffa. On arrival allow the herd to go off to Fingals Cave (they always do). Ascend to the summit of the island alone. On our last visit we disturbed a sea eagle at a distance of some 50 yards and watched fly over to Mull. We later made our way to the famous cave and had it entirely to ourselves whilst the herd explored the rest of the island. Bet they did not see a sea eagle our experience The Cave alone!

    ReplyDelete