Sunday, May 31, 2015

Wanderings on Raasay - Kyles Rona & Eilean Tighe

After a week on Berneray (North Uist), my wife and I spent last week on Lewis. The time flew, and so I was not able to post on the walks and boat trips I did there. One walk I made was a spectacular overnight hike from Morsgail to Cliet Fhidigidh, then up past Loch Grunavat to Carinish. Along the way I visited a dozen shieling sites and several beehive cells, including Bothan Ruadh, which I believe is the most remote beehive cell on Lewis. Another exiting day was a boat trip to the tiny island of Eilean Fir Chrothair to see its little beehive cell. I also spent some time in the Mangersta bothy; a hobbit house of sorts hidden in a nook high atop the cliffs of Mangersta. I will post on all these once I get back home.

We're on Raasay now for a few days. Today I hiked from Arnish to Kyles Rona, and then crossed over to the tidal isle of Eilean Tighe. I will also post more on this when I get home, including some photos of Kyles Rona House and the house on Eilean Tighe, both once home to Julia Mackenzie, who writes about living in them in her book Whirligig Beetles and Tackety Boots. Until then, here are a few photos from the walk; one of the best on Raasay, which starts at the end of Calum's Road to Arnish.

Calum's Road
Start of the walk to Eilean Tighe
Looking north from Kyles to Eilean Tighe
The crossing to Eilean Tighe at low tide - with what's left of an old causeway
Looking south to Kyles (north end of Raasay) from atop Eilean Tighe - the tidal gap can just be seen in the centre
South Rona seen from atop Eilean Tighe - Big Harbour at the far left

No comments:

Post a Comment